Saturday, January 8, 2011

Duffer


Just a heads up about two films soon to be released on DVD. BFI/Flipside continues to unearth subterranean British treasures that I wonder how I never knew about, like the already released Bronco Bullfrog and Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush. Joseph Despin and William Dumaresq's Duffer promises to be quite a disturbing picture, but my ears pricked up when I heard that Delia Derbyshire was in charge of the sound design. And Barney Platts-Mills's Private Road just looks like pure confection. What's great about these Flipside releases is that they tend to include supplementary short films of great interest themselves. Mulberry Bush includes Gordon Ruttan's documentary Stevenage, a propaganda piece for Britain's "new towns," and Private Road includes David Tringham's 1974 film The Last Chapter, starring Denholm Elliot as a writer unnerved by a younger fan played by Susan Penhaligon. Read more here and here.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen 'Duffer', but it comes highly recommended from a very trusted source. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Good to hear from you, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw "Private Road" at the BFI screening a few months back and thought it was excellent - a surprisingly good movie in its own right, but definitely essential viewing for any fans of Robinson's "Withnail & I"... safe to say he was more than a little 'inspired' by the script and visuals of the earlier film he'd starred in.

    Great to hear that these DVDs are finally set for release, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have these dvds--they are amazing as are all the flipside discs. I got them for Christmas and found out my friend Jenny's friend, Vic, is the one responsible for the releases. Small world. I particularly like the girl-oriented ones (The Pleasure Girls, That Kind of Girl and The Party's Over).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Moya! Yeah, these DVDs are right up your alley. I should get around to ordering them while they are still on sale on amazon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete