Wednesday, December 1, 2010

R. Murray Schafer

A few R. Murray Schafer-related things that I need to get off my desktop. He's the Canadian music ed. guru I mentioned a few posts back. These first few are from Schafer's book The Composer In the Classroom. I love his teaching technique in the gym photo.





And then here are some photos of Schafer's World Soundscape Project out of Simon Fraser University in the late 60s and early 70s, which involved taking field recordings of ambient urban and rural sounds. Schafer's fellow sound artists are Bruce Davis, Jean Reed, Peter Huse, Howard Broomfield, and Barry Truax. Parallel universe "band photos" -- I love it!



7 comments:

  1. A few months back I had R. Murray Schafer hair and didn't even realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is always fascinating, but I dig the R. Murray Schafer material you've posted lately. He's a figure who's intrigued me for many years. I have a couple of recording from the late '60s-early 70s of him speaking, audio productions in which he putting forth about his theories of "acoustic ecology," soundscapes, etc. Perhaps I should upload them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greyhoos, would love to hear some more Schafer. I had then stupidly sold his album Threnody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Threnody -- yeah, that has one of the pieces I was referring to. Then there's another that appeared on the "Vancouver Soundscape" release.

    ReplyDelete